[Wine] Never had an app work in WINE

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 6 21:29:01 CST 2010

Scott wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 11:33:49AM -0700, James Mckenzie wrote:
>
>>> Okay, here is all I got:
>>>
>>> $ WINEDEBUG=warn+heap wine 'D:\\drake09\\ft\\drake09.exe'
>>> fixme:wininet:InternetGetConnectedState always returning LAN connection.
>>> fixme:richedit:RichEditWndProc_common WM_STYLECHANGING: stub
>>> fixme:richedit:RichEditWndProc_common WM_STYLECHANGED: stub
>>>
>>> The app froze up as usual after entering one form and exiting it, and
>>> I had to kill it from a different terminal.
>>>
>>> Any ideas? Is this something I should be posting to the developer
>>> site? Do I need to set some additional debug parameters?
>>>
>> Try native riched20.  See the FAQ entry on winetricks.
>>

> Okay, that made the 'richedit' fixmes go away! However, the app still freezes.

Ok.  That was at least a try to see if the problem was caused by the
lack of code in the Wine project.

>> Also, please advise as to the program you are trying to get working.
>>

> It is the 'Drake' tax preparation program.
>
> I mentioned before that, when it first starts up there is an error
> window titled "DWIN.DLL" which says 'Disabling Menus. 5=Access
> Denied'. With an 'OK' button which, when clicked, lets me log in to
> the program.

Is there a particular requirement that you use this and only this tax
program?

I would be very suspect if a company states "Our legitimate dll has the
same name as that of a virus."  I would be asking them to change the
name.  It really is not that hard to do so.

James McKenzie