[Wine] Trying to start a language learning software...

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 7 15:46:02 CST 2010

nikolai wrote:
> I got the 1.2 beta, no improvement. Besides telling me that I should upgrade to the next version, could anyone give me any hint at all to get this thing working (change some parameters in Wine ?), besides uninstalling linux for windows.

I read through this list of items and you forgot a few things:

What Linux distribution are you using (Fedora, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mint,
Slackware) and version?

What kind of video card are you using?

Wine 1.1.40 was released on Friday and is the most current version.  The
problems you experience may be corrected by that release.

Yes, it is much easier to use Windows 7 as it was designed for the
'average' user.  Linux has friends and it is very selective as to what
friends it has.  That's the way it has been since the beginning.  It is
not designed to be a replacement for Windows.  However, this project
will not move forward if folks are not willing to try using it and
reporting problems they experience.

Please file a bug report for the problem you experienced.  Also, please
be aware that Wine is a 'mostly' volunteer project and resources are
limited.

Thank you.

James McKenzie