[Wine] Crazy (and just maybe awesome) idea: Winux

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sun Mar 7 19:19:30 CST 2010

On Sun, 2010-03-07 at 17:59 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:

> As to what the OP wanted, this might be a good idea that needs more
> work.  It would be fantastic if a freeware/commercial Windows based
> anti-virus program would run under Wine.  However, this does not rule
> out the possibility that it will never be used or updated.

Have you used tripwire or do you know anybody who does?

Tripwire runs natively on Linux, and maybe other OSen. It works by
detecting attempts to tamper with files. I remember using something
similar on WFW 3.11 and chucking it because it was more trouble than it
was worth due to FPs, but maybe tripwire is more configurable.

The real question is: is it less of a pain than SE:Linux? Full points to
SEL for security, but on the downside it makes doing several common
things, e.g. distributing webserver content by using the http:~user/...
notation, or configuring a DBMS in a way the SEL programmers didn't
consider, almost unusable.

Martin