[Wine] 256 Bit Color Mode

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 7 20:31:54 CST 2010

Michael_LaCorte wrote:
> That was my concern, however, I have been able to get it to run under Crossover, it was just unbearable slow. It might help if I explained Macports a little.

Crossover for Mac uses its own X11 server.   I sincerely wish that
Jeremy and company would feed back to Apple what is needed to fix these
problems.
> The MacPorts Project is an open-source community initiative to design an easy-to-use system for compiling, installing, and upgrading either command-line, X11 or Aqua based open-source software on the Mac OS X operating system. To that end we provide the command-line driven MacPorts software package under a BSD License, and through it easy access to thousands of ports that greatly simplify the task of compiling and installing open-source software on your Mac.

So does Fink.   The purpose of both projects is to 'port' Unix/Linux
applications to work with MacOSX which is based on a flavor of BSD
Unix.  This is not trivial in most cases.
> That is the definition that is on the homepage of the Macports website. So are there any Linux tools that I could use to upgrade my X11 to support 256-bit colors?

You could try installing the MacPorts version of X to see if the XQuartz
project has figured out, on their own, how to fix this situation.

James McKenzie