[Wine] Re: Sound & Video PP07

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Mar 8 09:51:13 CST 2010

roderakker wrote:
> i meant if you would suggest winetricks, or the hard way. sorry for my doublepost, why is there no edit button?  [Laughing]

First make sure sound is working in Wine in general. The workaround in the AppDB is specifically for mp3-crippled distro packages, and assumes your sound is otherwise properly set up.

As for which method to use to install the codec, if you have access to a Windows install, copying the file over is the easier method, as installing WMP9 is a buggy process, even with winetricks.  However, since you want video, too, you may need the core WMP9 dlls anyway. I have not tested video embedded in Powerpoint; I do know that Powerpoint relies on the WMP engine, and WMP9 will play wmv files, and xvid avi files (if xvid is installed), but not mpg/mpeg files.

Editing is disabled because the forum is linked to the mailing list, and mailing list users don't get edits.