[Wine] Re: Sound & Video PP07

roderakker wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Mar 9 08:55:07 CST 2010

dimesio wrote:

> roderakker wrote:
> > I did just that, but still no sound or video. What I did was I took l3codeca.acm and made a link to it called winemp3.acm, both within the sys32 folder in /.wine which had been one of your tips on another post. I do have the libmpg123 aswell. Also, sound works perfectly fine when testing it in the Wine config, and when playing mp3 & wmv files in any of the default ubuntu video/music programs.  [Rolling Eyes] I know I'm quite the inexperienced Linux user but I'm really hoping I can fix this. Afterall, I picked this as my asignment to get familiar in Linux... Windows just gets so annoying, and this is quite a challenge. Keeps me entertained, too!
> >
> > Thanks.
>

> Does sound work in other Wine apps (not just the test in winecfg)?
> Do Powerpoint's bultin sound effects work? (Test by adding a sound effect to the slide transition.)
> If the answer to the above two questions is no, sound is not properly set up. Since you're on Ubuntu, the most likely culprit is Pulseaudio. Disable it.
> If the answer to the above two questions is yes, are you sure the sound inserted in the file is mp3/wav? That is the only codec/container for inserted sound that I can verify works in Powerpoint in Wine.
>
> Just to be clear, I'm talking about sound only, not sound in a video. I doubt video will work at all.

how should i disable pulseaudio? the configured audio in wine is ALSA. also, the file is a .mp3 of the song Bleak by Opeth. what program do you suggest testing the sound with? i would like to install a program that does not affect my install of office, and windows media player does affect it. any other tips and steps i could take? i'll get back to it tomorrow, right now it's time to head home. Thanks!