[Wine] wine "dragon age" winetricks "directx 3d" patches and hacks

icecubeflower wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Mar 9 11:57:03 CST 2010

Hey on this webpage does anybody knows what he means by "DirectX 3D"?:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=18283

> Additional Comments
>
> - you need to use the winetricks to install DirectX 3D and the PhysX the game will crash if you do not

Does winetricks even work with Slackware? I thought it needed Debian packages or something. I installed PhysX the normal way, I just downloaded the .exe file and ran the installer with wine and that seems to work. But what is DirecX 3D? Does he mean Direct3D?  Is it maybe just a group of dll files?  Is there some way I can install whatever he is talking about without winetricks?

What about patches and no-cd cracks?  The game will not detect my DVD so I have to use a crack.  But what if I upgrade my game to 1.03, the patch that came out very recently.  Do I need to find a 1.03 no-cd crack or will the old no-cd crack work the same?  (I notice upgrading to 1.03 mostly modifies other files but it also installs a new daorigins.exe that the no-cd patch is supposed to replace.)

I just compiled wine 1.1.39 today and installed Dragon Age.  I installed PhysX and the game starts even though I never install DirectX 3D.  When I start to create a character it works okay at first but then when I get to the part where I can name him or make his features all things are blank.  No sliders or name and character model disapears.  I think that is the point where it writes a .ini file to your disk so I think it is not getting write accesss to my disk for some reason.