[Wine] Crazy (and just maybe awesome) idea: Winux

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 08:42:03 CST 2010

On 10 March 2010 12:52, Martin Gregorie <martin at gregorie.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 09:14 +0000, David Gerard wrote:

>> (I don't know of any Windows malware that is aware of Wine, but it
>> would be trivially easy to write and there's nothing Wine can do to
>> block it. So you really should run ClamAV as well if you're in the
>> habit of downloading and installing random things in Wine. Has anyone
>> written a good page on practical use of an antivirus with Wine?)

> The feature that really worries me is the default Z: drive.
> Do any applications actually use it or could it be omitted?
> If it is used, what is it used for?

A program running in Wine as you can do anything you can do, same as
any Unix program running as you. (Including Linux system calls with
int 0x80, etc.) Wine cannot stop this and neither tries to nor
promises to. ~/.wine is NOT a sandbox.

Disconnecting Z:\ is pretty much useless as a security measure.

- d.