[Wine] Re: Wine Gecko install notification

doh123 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Mar 10 21:28:30 CST 2010

oiaohm wrote:
> doh123 is not a silly way.     Wine presumes that gecko will be required to use mshtml.   The override is basically telling wine you don't want it.

Wine is prompting when mshtml isn't used, so I'd explain that as, Wine presumes that gecko is wanted for everything, no matter what.

oiaohm wrote:

> Also not all sections of wine mshtml depend on gecko.  I know the pop up is annoying.  Upgrades only happen when wine has changed versions.

In Wineskin while testing, I can jump through 5 or 6 Wine versions in about 2 minutes, which makes the prompt every time annoying.... truthfully, there is so many different programs that run best, or only runs right in certain versions... is easier to use an old version than worry about  getting a newer version fixed.

oiaohm wrote:

> The way I would have gone was checking wine version if wine version has changed then run with mshtml disabled for prefix update.   That way part of mshtml is on offer.  So more application support.

I could make it update the prefix right away when changing Wine versions, so the next normal run already had it updated and gecko wouldn't be an issue...

That wouldn't fix the issue when duplicating the prefix, or 'exporting' it into a fully self contained wrapper... whenever I copy a wineprefix, the new copy even with the same Wine version (but a new copy of it), decides to update again and asks about Wine gecko again.

oiaohm wrote:

> Also wine versions changing can break applications from time to time.

true, thats when I rebuild the prefix... if its messing up.  Usually it seems to work ok though.

I just think the change to having Gecko prompt and want to install all the time wether its needed or not is... kind of a cheap way to fix problems.  instead of actually being able to tell when its needed and prompt, it was easier to program just assuming its always there, so just annoy people into installing it.... so it just seems like a big annoying band-aid fix instead of a proper fix.