[Wine] Re: Need help editing wine.

sonicfan1012 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Mar 11 23:33:18 CST 2010

Charles Davis wrote:
> On 3/11/10 7:44 AM, sonicfan1012 wrote:
>
> > I need to know how to edit wine so that it uses an application of another name rather than X11. The application of a different name is the same as X11, just a different name. But it's only the application. I have all the X11 files. I just need the name of the APPLICATION that it uses to not be X11 and to be another name.
> > Please don't think too hard about why I'm using an application with a different name that's the same as X11, you'll probly end up confusin urself :) just tell me how to change it so that wine will use an APPLICATION with a different name than X11.
> >
> That's right... You're the guy on a Mac who didn't like the fact that,
> every time you ran Wine, X11 would start.
>
> That's unavoidable right now. Wine NEEDS X11. Without X11, Wine won't
> work. 'Nuff said.
>
> However, I'm working on a solution to this. If this gets in, Wine on Mac
> won't need X11 anymore. Stay tuned...
>
> Seriously, though, if Wine needs X11, why are you so intent on replacing it?

uhh...i have a feeling you don't really understand my question, which makes sense. I'm still using X11. It's just a different name. The actual X11 application is blocked, but if I rename it to something different, it's unblocked. I just need to make wine use the X11 that I renamed instead of the X11 that is named X11. Otherwise, it doesn't work and it just says that X11 is blocked. But if I could make wine use the X11 that i renamed, then it would work. I just need to know how to do that.

For example, let's just say I copied my X11 and renamed it "WineX11". X11 doesn't work, but WineX11 does. But Wine always uses X11 instead. Despite the fact that I can open up WineX11, it doesn't matter, since wine is attempting to create an X server using the application X11. But if I can change it to use WineX11, then it would use that instead of X11. note that this name change is only for the APPLICATION X11, not like the X11 files in the library. It's just the APPLICATION. I'm pretty sure the other files are on my mac and don't need their names changed.

Oh and I should have mentioned this before, but I have a mac, with OSX 10.5 leopard

And again, I really don't know why this happens, it just does, lucky for me :)