[Wine] Spam

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Tue Mar 16 10:36:53 CDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:43, dimesio <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> I've deleted the messages, but I don't have the power to ban accounts.

Ah, ok. moderator access vs. admin access?

(I read via mailing list, where the deletes don't show up :( ...) (I
have checked it on the forum though...) The issue is if UI enable
gmail's spam filter, the list unsubscribes me due to bounces...

For the forum, it might also be useful to use those bad IP blacklists
and ask for more captchas for users from those IPs. (banning those IPs
are annoying, I'm behind a "transparent" ISP proxy which I cam't turn
it off and the proxy's IPs are often banned from some sites...)
(Something like the SBL, DBL and XBL from Spamhaus might be valid
sources...)

> Martin Gregorie wrote:
>Is it possible to put a spam filter in the loop?

I'm not sure about the mailing list / integration, but for a standard
phpBB 2, I'm not aware of such a point (which does not involve editing
the code...) It does have a profanity filter, which might be useful
for destroying links regularly spammed and to URL shortening services.
(Which hides URLs and is unnecessary outside Twitter)

It should be possible for the mailing list part though, which would
reduce the impact... (Keep mailing list spam of the forum (and mailing
list) and forum spam of the mailing list...)

My _*guess*_ of the of the architecture for the integration would be:
Form posts gets submitted to forum database and mailing list (from the
special wineforum-user account).
Mailing list posts gets sent out to subscribers. It is received
(probably by a special subscriber) by the integration, that adds it to
the forum's database. Mailing list software archives it.
If this is the case, they run mostly independant, and the intergation
just ensures that everything appears everywhere (using different
mechanisms in each direction... This would also require seperate
filtering for the mailing list and forum :( )

Gert