[Wine] Can't initiate install of office 2003 from disc. msi issues?

shaggorama wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Mar 21 16:40:18 CDT 2010

OS: Ubuntu 9.10
Wine Version: 1.1.39
winecfg: windows version - XP, libraries all set to (native, builtin) (defaults).

I am trying to install microsoft office XP pro from the cd-rom. I open the folder and run 'setup.exe' and receive the following error:

"The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance"

The disc also has instmsiw.exe and instmsi.exe. I tried running the latter and received an empty error. Running the former appeared successful. Running setup.exe immediately afterwards (sometimes) resulted in a prolonged "preparing to install' dialogue box that never updates.