[Wine] Mysterious 15 second startup delay running Wine as www-data

happyguy wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Mar 25 17:38:35 CDT 2010

I'm using Wine to run a text mode cgi-bin Win32 program on Ubuntu 9.10.  If I run it under my regular account, or via

sudo -H -u www-data ./mycgi.exe

it runs instantly (< 1 sec.)

When run as a cgi-bin program (therefore as www-data user), there is a (measured) 15 second delay and then the program runs in 350ms and the data is returned to the client.

Any idea what might be causing this mysterious 15 second delay?  I can't find anything unusual in the .wine folder (which is under /var/www)  According to the package manager, I am running wine1.2 version 1.1.31-0ubuntu3.

The output when run via sudo looks like:

Code:
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
No protocol specified

I note there is no carriage return after </body> if that matters.