[Wine] finding or creating ~/.wine folder (Snow Leopard problem)

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 29 09:23:06 CDT 2010

hobbsilla <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

>You have to be kidding me that is so a problem people that upgrade from 10.5 to 10.6 get.
Maybe, maybe not.  Some folks actually 'lost' access to the Documents folder.

>My laptop is brand new came straight from Apple no less than 90 days ago.

With respect to Ryan, take your Apple to the Genuis Bar and let them fix it.   Your system is still under warranty (if you bought/use it in the United States) and they should fix it.  Your system may have a bad Operating System install.  This happens to Apples as well as other systems.

>Well I'll get MacPilot and work on repairing my ACLs then.

This will void your warranty.  Again, let Apple fix this if your system is still under warranty.

This may also indicate a failing hard drive, although I would be highly suspect that this is happening.  They usually fail immediately or after many years of use (I have the original hard drive for my Thinkpad and it has been dropped a few times and it is still working after 12+ years.)  A good example of failing hard drives where the Hitachi 20GB drives used in many computers about 10 to 12 years ago that would 'death spiral' after about three or four months of use.  They were replaced in many cases after the problem was discovered to be bad manufacturing.

Ryan:

Thank you for the suggestions.  I'm going to run them tonight to see what I get out of my system and record them.  This way if my system starts acting wonky, I can fix it.

James McKenzie