[Wine] Wine & Windows viruses

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Mar 30 08:13:56 CDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 04:48 -0500, Patrick70 wrote:
> I recently made the switch from Windows Vista to Ubuntu and am in the
> process of figuring out how everything works and finding the software
> which I need.

In Linux anti-spam and anti-virus packages are designed to run in
conjunction with a mail server, thats usually Sendmail which is a bear
to configure but can be easily replaced. I prefer Postfix.

If your ISP has adequate spam and virus traps, just point your mail
reader at their mailserver and change the aliases on your internal mail
server to redirect system mail from root to your ISP account - this way
you'll see it as part of your normal mail stream.

OTOH, if you like to experiment, here's a summary the bits that are
typically used to assemble a small mailserver-based set-up. The key to
understanding it is that each item does just one task and does it well:
- I use the Postfix mailserver as the centre of the system.
- aliases redirect system mail to my usual login user
- getmail retrieves mail from my ISP usual POP3 and passes it
  to Postfix.
- outbound mail goes through Postfix, which forwards it to my ISP's
  mailserver
- Spamassassin is used by Postfix to mark up spam. It doesn't delete
  anything, just marks mail as spam or not-spam. Most mail readers can
  sort spam into separate folders or you can use procmail to delete spam
  automatically.
- ClamAV does the same for virus detection. As an all-Linux set-up
  I don't use any anti-virus software, but if I had Windows on my local
  network I would use it.
- amavis-new can be used to manage Spamassin and Clamav on behalf of
  Postfix but you don't have to use it.
- if you have several computers, the one running your central mailserver
  must also run Dovecot, which provides POP3 or IMAP services to mail
  readers on the other computers. They send mail to the central
  mailserver using SMTP, which collates it and forwards it to the
  outside world or to your other computers.

Once you have such a system running you can pretty much forget it
because it all "just works". I haven't changed my Postfix, getmail and
Dovecot configurations for over 5 years.

The only fiddling I do on anything like a regular basis is to write new
Spamassassin rules as new types of spam starts to appear - and I only do
that because its my equivalent of solving crosswords.

Martin