[Wine] Request for Help: USB access for Digital Voice Editor

smyrnensis wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat May 1 02:29:22 CDT 2010

Hello,

I use Wine 1.0.1 on Debian 5.0 ("Lenny") to run Sony Digital Voice Editor (DVE) v3.2.  I want to use DVE to copy files from my Sony voice recorder (model ICD-PX720) to my system's hard drive.

DVE installed easily and runs smoothly every time.  There are no crashes or hang-ups.  But I'm having two major problems: (1) DVE cannot detect the voice recorder when it is connected to the system via USB, and (2) there is no sound in Wine; DVE cannot play any audio files present on my hard disk.

Are there ways in which I could handle these two issues?  (At least number 1, which is more important?)

I notice that many problems with DVE have been discussed on this forum.  But most of them are about program installation and execution --- my DVE is doing fine in this regard. Generic problems of USB devices in Wine have also been discussed.  They point to http://wiki.winehq.org/USB but it is not clear if anybody found that useful.  Any comments will help.

Thanks!

Girish.