[Wine] Halo fails to install

Diablosblizz wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed May 5 17:08:24 CDT 2010

Hey, I just downloaded and installed Ubuntu 10.04 and downloaded Wine 1.1.32 as that is apparently supposed to work with Wine, or at least Ubuntu 9.10 is supposed to. I checked, and used, this (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2720) as my guide. I go and run the setup file through terminal so I can get error reports and attempt to start the install. I enter my CD key and start the setup. It starts and gets to about 22% before it errors and says:

> Setup failed to extract files from D:\FilesCab\Cab2.CAB. This is most likely caused by low memory (low disk space for swapping file) or a corrupted cabinet file. Please restart your machine and try again.

Here's what Wine says:

> keith at ubuntu:/media/My Disc$ wine setup.exe
> fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA ATI HDMI, disabling mixer
> fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA ATI HDMI, disabling mixer
> keith at ubuntu:/media/My Disc$ fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 110 (SPI_GETSHOWIMEUI)
> fixme:wave:wodPlayer_Reset shouldn't have headers left
> err:msi:copy_package_to_temp failed to copy package L"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\Halo\\msxmlenu.msi"
> err:msi:MSI_OpenPackageW Unable to copy package (L"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\Halo\\msxmlenu.msi" -> L"C:\\windows\\Installer\\3345.msi") (error 2)
> fixme:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackW notification 262144 params 33f8cc,0
> err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackW copy error 0 L"C:\\users\\keith\\Temp\\IXP000.TMP\\shfolder.dll" -> L"C:\\windows\\system32\\shfolder.dll"

I did what the installation instructions said in the link I provided, did the winetricks stuff and I still get this error. I'm not sure if the CD is in working condition, I haven't tried it in years. I will go try it on my version of XP and see if it will run. I'm just wondering though, has anybody else had this problem and if so what did they do to fix it? I would really love to get Halo working on Ubuntu, just another reason why Ubuntu is awesome. It won't run on my main Windows 7 though, which was really disappointing. Anyways, enough rambling.

Thank you!