[Wine] copy command (indirectly) from a batch file

kodefive wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon May 10 14:06:36 CDT 2010

Hello everyone,

I am developing a Windows executable that calls a .bat file.
That bat file in turn starts up another executable, a maker, which runs a make job file.
In the make file, the copy command is called.

The first exectuable catches all output from the batch file.

This works fine on Windows XP, but under Wine 1.1.44 I get the error message: wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\copy.exe"

And the output from the batch job that is caught by the first exe repeats the question: Overwrite [filename] (Y/N)?
Over and over again forever, or until I kill the process.

When reading the documentation for the copy command, I noticed the /Y option to suppress confirmation prompt. However this was not supposed to be necessary when called from a batch job.

Could it be that Wine is confused because copy is called from the maker exe, and not directly from the batch job, only indirectly?

Anyway, I used the command: SET COPYCMD=/Y before starting my program inside a Wine cmd, and that made it work.

So I guess I am just curious if this is a known defect or not?

Best regards/
Torbjörn