[Wine] Now you can go crazy; Steam and Source natively for Linux

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Thu May 13 22:57:11 CDT 2010

-----Original Message-----

The real sign that Linux has arrived is when there are Linux-only full graphic games.  These exist for the Mac (Aspyr Games is a Mac house.)  The good part is that this appears to be starting.

Also, when folks start adopting Linux as their desktop solution, en masse, then the Windows blockade will start to shatter.  That, unfortunately, depends on reliable programs being constructed for it.  This is also happening, no matter what others may say.  OpenOffice.org has come a long way with Microsoft Office and other office product compatibility.  Sure there are features that need work (in some cases a lot of work) but the returned value is minimal.  This means that Sun/Oracle are not going to supply the solution and it is up to the community to do so.  It would be nice of Oracle to state a direction as to what it is going to do and fix so the remaining problems can be turned over and worked.  This prevents use of resources (people, time and equipment) where it is not needed.

Again, Valve appears to be moving towards a Linux native client and maybe, just maybe Linux client games.  Only time will tell and that means we have to wait and see.  In the meantime, Wine needs a fix so that Steam will run again on it.

James McKenzie