[Wine] noob question - program won't run

walt w41ter at gmail.com
Sun May 16 17:49:22 CDT 2010

On 05/16/2010 02:32 PM, Mzwo wrote:
> hi,
>
> sorry for the potentially stupid question.
>
> I'm a little stuck. when trying to run the stupid update manager i need for my satnav, which - obviously - is windows only, nothing happens. install worked, the icon's on my desktop, it has been made executable, but after a bit of harddrive action nothing happens.
>
> terminal says:
>

> Code:
> mzwo at mzwo-laptop:~$ env WINEPREFIX="/home/mzwo/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\Becker\Content Manager 2\cm2.exe"
> fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC" (8.0.50608.0)
> err:module:attach_process_dlls "odbc32.dll" failed to initialize, aborting

Here is an experiment to try, at least:

Run winecfg (I run it from a command prompt) and click on the
"Applications" tab at the top.  "Add" your application cm2.exe
to the list of applications (maybe still empty at this point).

With your cm2.exe app selected in the Applications tab, click on
the "Libraries" tab.  Find "New overrides for library:" and click
on the dropdown icon at the right to see the list of libraries.

Select odbc32 from the list of libraries and then click "Add" to
add it to the "Existing overrides".  (This will use the native MS
odbc32 library instead of the wine version, but only for cm2.exe.
(Other applications can/should be customized using the same recipe.)

Click OK to close winecfg and restart your cm2.exe application.