[Wine] New Linux/Wine User Needs Help!

Frédéric Delanoy frederic.delanoy at gmail.com
Fri May 21 09:17:55 CDT 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 13:55, tf4545 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running Wine with Ubuntu 10.04 on a Toshiba Laptop.  I installed Wine using the Ubuntu Software Center and am using 1.1.42.  I have 'installed' Adobe Reader, Firefox, IE 8 and Business Plan Pro from Palo Alto Software.
>
> Firefox will start and run, IE 8 will not fully execute, Adobe Reader gives an error for Wine C++ Runtime error and Biz Plan Pro gives an Active X error 429.
>
> Prior to upgrading from Ubuntu 9.10 to 10.04 I had the same software configuration listed above and had no problems with any of the Windows applications running in Wine...
>
> I know this is a long list but I'm stuck and could use some help.
>
> Much Appreciated!

Why are you running Firefox under wine? There is a native Linux version...
As for IE, you could try ies4linux, but I haven't had much success with it.
Your best option would probably be sthg like VMWare or virtualbox...

BTW, there's a native acroread package, although it might be somewhat
old (search for "lucid ppa acroread" or sthg similar).
In any case, it should not be needed since there's a PDF (+ other
formats) viewer in Ubuntu: evince (named "Document Viewer" IIRC), but
YMMV.

Frédéric