[Wine] Re: Files from an old drive

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat May 22 14:36:21 CDT 2010

pyrotech91 wrote:

> John Drescher wrote:
> > On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 2:43 PM, pyrotech91 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I had to install to a new HD because my update to 10.04 didn't go well.
> > > I have access to the file system of my previous install (dolphin)
> > > I have installed Wine.
> > > I run Wine for a password safe program that I have all of my Passwords in.
> > > Can I get the saved password files from my old HD?
> > >

> > Copy the old wine prefix to you new hard drive. If you want copy the
> > entire user profile.
> >
> > John
>

> I'm not sure how to do that

Inside your old home folder, there is another hidden folder called .wine (with the dot included). Copy that folder to your new home folder and you will have backed-up your entire wine info. This does not reinstall Wine, but merely it's prefix (definitions+drive_c...).

Basically you could just:

cd /path_to_old_mounted_drive/home/<username> (or wherever your home folder was)
cp -r.wine ~ (Assuming ~ is currently pointing to your current home directory, which should be the case if you run this from your newly configured account.

Cheers,

Jorl17