[Wine] Trying to Get EMBIRD32 Working Under Wine

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Fri May 28 00:23:48 CDT 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 01:42, oldefoxx <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> And what I am getting from you is that no, you have to run the installer first, which is exactly opposite of what others have said on the subject, and they should know, they claim to have done it.

Getting the ihe installer to work helps ensuring that problems running
the application is due to Wine, not due to the lack of an installer
being used...

> See, early on in my career, everything was built of discrete components, and we learned circuitry and could trace signals.  When I got exposed to integrated circitry, that wasn't possible any more, so you just dealt with behavour of function.  In fact, you often had to rely on spare parts and moving things around to figure out just where the problem was.

You would also know that you need to ensure that the inputs are fine
if the ouputs are giving you problems...

> Maybe wine does make of a Registry.  I see three .REG files now, and so I could be mislead in that regard.  And maybe there is a revised installer for Embird that works with wine.  That would be nice too.  But I can't see any way to run down those possibilities from AppDB.

There's an AppDb page for it? Linking to it might have helped...

I extracted the self extractor of the version I downloaded. It seem to
also contain dongle drivers, which won't work under Wine. (at least
not easily...)

If you really want to run it without installing it, try installing it
under something like Altiris SVS Personal under Windows, which records
everything the installer does and allow you to see which registry
entries it created (and possibly export them for import in Wine
regedit). See this: http://www.svsdownloads.com/ (You want to run it
under Windows, to check what the installer does, not under Wine)
Unfortunately, there is no easy way to import a SVS package under
Wine, which would have allowed for easy testing of applications with
installer problems under Wine.