[Wine] Problem Running a game called Gothic

ryan woodsmall rwoodsmall at mac.com
Fri May 28 22:15:26 CDT 2010

> err:xrender:get_xrender_format_from_color_shifts No XRender format found!
> fixme:d3d_caps:wined3d_guess_card No card selector available for GL vendor 3 and card vendor 8086.
> fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x129eee0,0x00000000), stub!
> err:xrender:get_xrender_format_from_color_shifts No XRender format found!
> fixme:d3d_caps:wined3d_guess_card No card selector available for GL vendor 3 and card vendor 8086.
> fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x129ef64,0x00000000), stub!
> fixme:ddraw:DirectDrawEnumerateExA flags 0x00000007 not handled
> fixme:d3d_caps:wined3d_guess_card No card selector available for GL vendor 3 and card vendor 8086.
> fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x12963c0,0x00000000), stub!
> fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 16

Gothic I and II both run (nearly) flawlessly on Wine.  The last of the above messages indicate that you're running X in 32-bit depth, and the game is attempting to use 16bpp.  However, it looks like you're also using Intel graphics; this may not work with the Gothic games, even though they're somewhat old.  I played through the first Gothic in Wine (from gog.com) on a Mac with a GMA 3100, but I'm not sure if the Intel Linux graphics drivers are comparable to those of OS X.  It performed a bit slow-ish, but good enough for my taste.

Ubuntu has a bit of information on this with a link to a forum post; note that this is a distro-specific post and you'll need to follow up with the Ubuntu folks if you have trouble.  Not sure this specifically applies to 10.04 either, or will help/hurt your setup.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine#Error:%20Cannot%20change%20screen%20BPP%20from%2032%20to%20XX

Basically you need to add any resolutions you'd like to use with Gothic in 16bpp depth to your X config.