[Wine] Installing error - Package dependencies cannot be resolved

alnapp wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat May 29 06:32:39 CDT 2010

I'm very new to all this so apologies if its tediously obvious
I am trying to install Wine onto Ubuntu 10.04 on an HP tc4200

I am getting the above  "Package dependencies cannot be resolved" with details "wine1.2"

Having had a poke around these forums I have tried command line "sudo apt-get install wine"

Code:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
  wine: Depends: wine1.2 but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

so I tried to install version Wine 1.1.38 i386 and got the specific error that libopenal1 was the missing dependency

I tracked down libopenal1 and installed that,  Wine 1.1.38 i386 then installed

Was this the correct thing to do?
Should I worry I am not on latest version?
If I do upgrade to latest version, will it b0rk?

Any advice greatly received

Al