[Wine] Moving wine's C: drive to another file system

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Mon May 31 17:07:12 CDT 2010

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 23:57, X-Windows <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> I ran an installer and installed a program to "C:/Program Files" and it put it right back in the origional drive_c folder. So i went ahead and linked the origional drive_c to the new partition's drive_c and things seemed to be working, programs installed ok, but when I run them they come back with the same "This program has encountered a serious problem and needs to close" error. This is way too complicated...

You need to run the export every time you open a terminal. (shortcuts
created in the menu will set the variable for applications launched
from them to ehat it was for the installer...) (And if you do not run
the export on its own, you need to prefix it before every command...)

If you change the WINEPREFIX, you must also run the installer from the
terminal where you changed it.

Unix parts of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environment_variable#Synopsis
and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environment_variable#Unix is relevant
if you want to understand why...

These have a similar effect. Assuming bash.... # ignore next part if
you are confused... (The environment within bash itself differs
though)

# Option 1
export WINEPREFIX=/some/where
winecfg