[Wine] Re: Moving wine's C: drive to another file system

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon May 31 18:02:12 CDT 2010

X-Windows wrote:
> Alright, completely removed and reinstalled wine. Starting fresh, here is what I am doing.
>

> Code:
>
> export WINEPREFIX=/media/Wine
> cd /media/CD_name
> wine Setup.exe
>

> When I click the launcher button to start an installer (Install Shield) I get the same error as in my first post. When I click the "Browse C: Drive" it correctly takes me to the clean install drive_c.
>
> With an app that uses a different installer, the program installs without issue, but when I try to run the program, it throws the same error: "<programname> has encountered a serious problem and needs to close".

For the InstallShield problem: what version of Wine are you using? If it's not the latest development release, upgrade. There were some problems with InstallShield a few versions ago that have been fixed.

For the second problem: what app is this? Post terminal output. Make sure you cd to the program directory before trying to run it.

Apps can fail to run for lots of reasons; don't assume this problem has anything to do with the location of the wineprefix.