[Wine] How do I get my wine applications to carry over users?

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Fri Nov 5 11:31:27 CDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-11-05 at 11:07 -0500, tehpwnerer1918 wrote:
> I work in education, and we are experimenting with Ubuntu 10.10 in a
> small lab. I have installed wine and Microsoft Office as root, but
> when I log out and in as a network user it is not there. Is it
> possible to get it to carry over from user to user? Thanks in advance.

Never, ever install Windows applications as root.

Its asking for trouble just as much as running Windows applications with
Administrator privileges is.

Windows applications are not designed for simultaneous use by different
users (think about it - you simply can't do that on a Windows PC), so
anything that gives remote Linux users simultaneous access to a single
copy of a Windows app is likely to cause the app to misbehave.

The best you can do is to install MS Office in a number of regular Linux
users and arrange things so each user can only be logged into by one
person at a time. Running Wine apps through a shell script that enforces
this one-at-a-time rule is fairly easy to do.

Martin