[Wine] Ubuntu 10.10 AMD64 and building wine

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 8 09:52:04 CST 2010

A Nonny Moose <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

>Hooray!  I got a new machine.

congratulations Moose.

>However, if I want to continue doing things with wine, I need a little more information than is in the wiki on building
>wine for 32-bit and/or 64-bit operations.

You are always welcome to update the Wiki as well.

>First question:  Are the instructions for 10.04 still OK?  Is there any real change?

Should not be any changes because you updated t a new version of Ubuntu.

>Second question:  If I follow the line in the RegressionTesting page that says:
>[code]CC="ccache gcc -m32" ./configure --verbose[/code]
>will it be OK to build the 32-bit version?

gcc -m32 is still valid, as far as I know to build 32 bit programs.

>Third question:  With a 64-bit machine running the 64-bit O/S should I worry about running a 32-bit version at all?

Wine for 64 bit will not run 32 bit programs very well.  It is recommended to run 32 bit programs on 32 bit Wine.  However, WOW6432 capabilities are improving so this statement is subject to change, either up or down.

It is recommended that you create a 32 bit Wineprefix for 32 bit programs and a 64 bit Wineprefix for 64 bit ones.

Others should chime in that have more experience than I do.  I run a Mac, which with Snow Leopard is 64 bit.  I do run a 32 bit Wine and run many programs (right now QuakeII has my attention) on it.  I don't run any 64 bit programs at the present moment.

James McKenzie