[Wine] Re: SimCity4 wants to do a VGA display, but wine gives me an HD

A Nonny Moose wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Nov 11 00:19:59 CST 2010

Interesting you should say that about a system that is five days old.  I suppose infant mortality could be the problem.  I am not thinking this is a wine problem, but am just reporting the happening.  I am currently pursuing this with AMD who made both the graphics chip and my CPUs.  I realize that wine couldn't do this deliberately or probably by accident, but you need not be so defensive.

With wine in a beta state, I am curious to know if anyone else has this sort of problem with that AMD/ATI chip set.  I am still trying to figure out how it thinks that it should present an HD image in a VGA situation.  Mostly, I am researching this with AMD.

The system plays DVDs very nicely on my VGA monitor, so I don't really expect it is a problem with the chip set but the calls within the application that are not what they should be.  Too bad it is a legacy app that is completely out of maintenance.  EA won't even talk about a failure after 8 years on the market.  So a work around must be found, either by us or one of the other groups I am in touch with.  EA is also very sensitive about their legal position and won't allow anyone to play with the exe file.  Frankly, I think they are a dog in the manger.

I am not prepared to give up on an application that I have used for the last eight years.