[Wine] VServer > Wine > Xserver

JohnBenard wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Nov 15 07:35:12 CST 2010

I have some vserver with Debian 5 Lenny 32bit and full root rights if necessary. I use wine to start a windows application which needs to open a gui. I followed this tutorial (http://www.lizardking.biz/2009/02/debian-5-multi-user-vnc/) to run the x11, xdm as login manager and fluxbox as windowmanager. I can login over VNC and i am able to start the program without any problems. I open the in fluxbox type "wine programname" and it works.

The Problem: I do not want to run VNC(security reason) and i do not need to see the gui to control the application anyway. I want to be able to login over SSH with putty and to start it there. Then i am also able to make a autostart and it is not necessary to open a VNC connection first to run it. However, if i try to run the application just with putty over ssh it just says:
Code:
Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.

So, is it technically possible to run as example notepad(same error) with just using putty over ssh?

greetz, John