[Wine] Black background in WoW with direct x.

aydos wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Nov 16 10:22:15 CST 2010

Hello. I am an avid gamer and someone who always wants to go full Linux, but I always end up booting into Windows more than I want just to game.

I am currently only playing WoW which I know runs flawlessly in WINE so I decided to swap back over.

Everything was working fine and I decided to do a reinstall of Ubuntu going from 10.04 to 10.10, so I did a full format and reinstall.

I just run WoW from my Windows drive. I installed Wine 1.37 and the game launcher perfectly like normal. I loaded in and had everything running fine.

 I then decided to try Open GL out even though I was getting really high FPS. I logged out, edited the config.wtf like normal with the Open GL command and bam the game was in Open GL. However, I could not move most of the grraphics optiosn off of their lowest setting. I then logged out removed the Open GL command from the wtf file and decided to go back to playing it with Direct X.

This is where my problem comes in. When I launch the game I now can hear Sindragosa in the background, I can see the Username, Password, and Authenticator Headers and Windows, I can see the options buttons on the side, I can see everything except the background where Sindragosa flys around the mountains and lands. Also, if I log in to my account I can see the Addons button and I can see the names of all of my characters and the options to choose them and all other menus from this screen, but the background is black so I cannot see my characters standing in their home town.

Now I did not try selecting a character and going past this, because this was a problem in itself.

Does anyone have any clue what is going on and how to fix it?

Btw I am running on my desktop gaming rig that has an i7 920, 6 gigs of ram, and a NVIDIA 275 GTX with the official drivers from Nvidia, so I know it is not my system being weak.