[Wine] Very low FPS in Wine/Ubuntu vs WindowsXP

tparker tparker at etherstorm.net
Tue Nov 16 14:59:24 CST 2010

On 11/16/2010 12:02 PM, M60HAKAN wrote:
> New on Linux and Wine. I like most of what I see. Here is one problem I don't understand. I run dualboot Windows XP / Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx with Wine 1.3.6. Graphics - GeForce 9500 GT with Linux driver 195.36.24
>
> Tested World of Warcraft and compared framerates in XP vs Ubuntu/Wine. With all parameters the same (same Config.wtf file with OpenGL set), same in-game options, same character, same place (Dalaran) same movements.
>
> Result:
> XP - 35-40 fps
> Ubuntu10/Wine 12 -20 fps   :(
>
> No other "tweaks" than OpenGL. The easier adjustments and "tweaks" suggested in older threads here and in other forums had no impact on fps.
>
> Is this as you should expect? Any suggestions on what to do to get fps at least a bit closer to XP?

Have you tried it without the OpenGL tag? I get better fps in d3d on my
system, but different hardware and linux distro may impact that.

Also would be worthwhile to check for a driver update. I use a different
nvidia card, but my driver version is 260.19.12 so your driver in linux
may be quite old compared to the windows one it is testing against.

If you have any add-ons remove them and compare again. If you use oRA2
just ditch it, everything it provided for raiding is in the the Blizzard
defaults now and that addon seems to cost a good `10 fps in linux.