[Wine] CS:S and other steam games won't start

DanielJRutledge wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Nov 26 16:02:02 CST 2010

My Steam install under wine seems to be in a rather strange state.  I was only playing a couple of Valve games (TF2, CS:S), and I decided to add Left 4 Dead 2 to the mix, which worked fine.  However, every other Steam game I had then stopped working.

For example, I start CS:S and I get the "preparing to start game...." box, and nothing happens; same sequence with my other steam games.  Oddly, Left 4 Dead 2 still worked fine.

I have since reinstalled wine (upgraded to 1.3, was running 1.2 before) and reinstalled steam and CS:S, but the same problem persists.  I could reinstall other games, but I don't see much point if I'm going to have to tear it all down anyway.

Any ideas for fixes?  I'm running Kubuntu 10.04.  If there's a more appropriate place to post this problem, please let me know.