[Wine] Mint KDE 9: Wine problem with MS Office

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sat Nov 27 19:24:20 CST 2010

> I'm using version 1.2, which was already there in Mint 9 KDE when I
> installed the distro; what can I do to upgrade? I'm not  very techy or
> "command-line-guy"

Mint 9 is a bit behind the times: Mint is now on release 10. However as
Mint 9 is on long term support until April 2013 there's no need to move
to Mint 10 unless you want to.

If you don't regularly get updates from Mint, do so now: most distros
have a graphical updater so you don't need to do it at command line
level, though learning to use the command line is a very good idea
because you'll need it to trouble shoot Wine if you try to run an app
that needs some TLC to run. Its a good idea to get into the habit of
running the updater at least once a week because, unlike M$ products,
Linux packages are more or less continuously being improved.

Using the updater is pretty much a matter of starting it and watching it
run, though if you haven't done it for a while this might take some time
to get caught up with all the latest package versions. When you've done
that, let us know what version of Wine is now installed.

Martin