[Wine] Trouble installing packages with Winetricks

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 1 11:20:33 CDT 2010

dimesio <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

>F_style wrote:
>>
>>The purpose of all those Winetricks packages is to make Wine work just like it used to work with Wine Doors before its
>>disappearance. Wine Doors downloaded and installed all or most of those packages, and my Windows apps, such as DBabble,
>>worked without problems. That's what I know about it.

It will not be missed.  WineDoors caused many problems.

>Do not install any winetricks unless you know for a fact that they are needed by your app to run, and that means you know
>exactly what problem each one fixes. Clearly you don't, so don't install any.

Actually, it would be best to pay a visit to the Applications Database, look up your program and if there is a how-to or other comments, do what they suggest.

Some programs are rated Garbage, because they just plain will not install in Wine, as it is now.  Some programs require a 'crack' to work.  We don't encourage this because it might not be legal in some jurisdictions.

>> And what installer(s) are you talking about that is used without Winetricks?
>>

>The installer for your app. If you have more than one, pick one to start with. Run it in a clean wineprefix: no
>winetricks, nothing else installed. If there are problems, post console output. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#get_log

This should be for programs that do not have an Applications Database entry or if the last entry is rated 'very old'.  Information from six months ago may not apply to current Wine due to the large amount of fixes applied.

These logs can be very large as well and the forums feed a mailing list.  If the console output is longer than one screen in length, please post the log file to a site like pastebin.com and then post the URL here.  This minimizes mail traffic and allows interested people to go out and look at the file and make comments.

James McKenzie