[Wine] Networking not working for Windows game

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu Oct 7 05:13:58 CDT 2010

> I'm running an old game called SODA Off-Road Racing in Wine.
> Everything runs perfectly in the game, except networking.   I added
> test results for it to the AppDB.
>
> Does anyone know of anything I can try to get networking working
> properly in the game?  So far I've tried a suggestion from the Wine
> FAQ to change /etc/hosts to show my IP instead of a loopback address.

What is currently in /etc/hosts? it should be something like:

127.0.0.1          localhost, localhost.localnet
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx    myhost.example.com

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your PC's IP and myhost.example.com is your
PC's fqdn (fully qualified domain name). That will work if you use a
plain modem or an ADSL router that does NOT have network address
translation (NAT) capability.

However, if you use a NAT-capable router/modem for your broadband
connection the set-up is different:

The external IP of your router should have your assigned IP
and /etc/hosts should look like this:

127.0.0.1          localhost, localhost.localnet
192.168.aaa.bbb    myhost.example.com

where aaa is the same as the subnet used by the router and bbb is a
unique number within your house network. In addition the internal IP if
your router (probably 192.168.aaa.001) must be defined as the gateway
and you must have at least one nameserver defined. However, if this last
bit is wrong you won't be able to access the internet.

Another thing to check: are you running a firewall either on the PC or
on your modem/router? If so, is it blocking the port that SODA wants to
use to contact the server? Generally its safe to allow all outgoing
connections and block as many incoming connections as possible.

I use a NAT-capable ADSL modem/router for my broadband connection (NAT
is an excellent firewall in its own right. By default it blocks all
incoming connections and allows all outgoing ones. I run mine this way
and don't have any problems with making connections to any server I need
to contact.

>   I've also tried running it in every Windows 95, 98, XP, Vista, and 7
> modes, with no luck.

What does Wireshark show in the way of network activity if you monitor
the PC's network connection with it when SODA tries to access the
server?

Wireshark is part of most Linux packages but may not be installed by
default. You need the base wireshark package plus wireshark-gnome, its
graphical front end.

Martin