[Wine] Darwine or Wine? New to Mac, Install/Uninstall/File issues.

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 16 10:49:00 CDT 2010

  On 10/16/10 7:35 AM, MartyWebb wrote:
> I'm currently running Mac OS X 10.6.4 Snow Leopard.
>
> I recently installed Darwine, and then installed a new program, Bowl Bound College Football.  Even installed the patch afterwards.  So far, so good.
>
> Now my problem, is that this program creates an export file to send to a league commissioner, that they can then import.  I can't find the file path in Finder, or any of the files for the program period.  Because it'll need me to extract files every 'sim' into the folder.
The Wine folder is hidden

Go to Applications -> Utilities and start the terminal application.

In the window that opens type or copy:

open $HOME/.wine/drive_c/

This is Wine's C: drive.

Navigate to where the Program should have installed.

You should be able to copy and paste or drag and drop in the files.

> What I'm wondering, first, is how I can find it?  I've looked at all the FAQs and wikis, and have had no luck.
>
> Secondly, should I be using Wine instead?  Is there a difference?  If it helps, the version of Darwine I installed is 1.0.1 x86.

This is a very old version of Wine, almost two years old.  I recommend
using a more current Wine version from either MacPorts or Fink (both
'port' Linux/UNIX applications so they will run on the Mac.)

One thing that you will notice after you 'upgrade' is a window will
appear that states your Wine Configuration is being updated.  No worries
here as some changes were made over time to the configuration files for
Wine.
> I'll unfortunately need step-by-step help here, if possible, because this Mac boggles me.

It is confusing moving from a Windows PC to the Mac.  However, we are
here to help you get Wine working with it.   I'm not the only Mac Wine
user out here, there are others and they may have better methods of
getting done what you want done.

James McKenzie