[Wine] Compiling from source - where is winecfg?

motub wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Oct 16 13:19:44 CDT 2010

Hey all,

I've just switched distro to Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) from LM9 Isadora. Some of you may be aware that the Wine Debian packages are extremely old (the repo the main page directs me to doesn't go above 1.1.4.2), so I compiled 1.3.4 from source, without installing.

That went fine, insofar as I tested with a previously-installed app and it ran, but now I want to install a new app, under a new WINEPREFIX. I exported the prefix in the terminal, but what I usually do then is run winecfg (which creates the directory and so forth).... and I don't have it anymore. I have a source/programs/winecfg folder which contains a winecfg.exe.so, but I have no idea how to use that, if indeed it is useable, rather than the uncompiled source of winecfg.

The wiki doesn't say anything about how to compile the attached tools (I would guess that wine regedit isn't compiled either), or about how to get along without them in the event that you don't have them in a separate package or compiled or whatever.

.... Help? How can I compile the standard Wine tools or get along without them? Or do I have to make install to get them?

Thanks!