[Wine] Question about gamma changing...

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Sat Oct 16 21:28:09 CDT 2010

On 10/16/10 8:12 PM, doh123 wrote:
> I need to know exactly how Wine tells the X server to change gamma settings... so gamma controls in games can work.  Basically I need to know.. when a game has like a gamma adjust bar, and it moves... what specifically happens behind the scenes.
The game calls SetDeviceGammaRamp(), or something that ultimately calls
SetDeviceGammaRamp(). SetDeviceGammaRamp() has a driver entry-point that
GDI calls. The x11drv implementation uses the XFree86 VidMode extension
to set the gamma--this requires version 2 or better of the xf86vm extension.

> I need to know this because right now Xquartz on Mac OS X does not support doing this at all,
This is because it doesn't support the xf86vm extension.
> and I'd like to be able to add that ability into it... but I do not know how it works.
This is the extension you need to implement. Luckily, it's similar to
other such interfaces, such as Quartz Display Services in Mac OS X or
the GDI functions. Take a look at the headers "xf86vm.h", "xf86vmode.h",
and "xf86vmproto.h", all in <X11/extensions>.

Chip