[Wine] Menu entries disappeared after distro update

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Oct 20 07:44:21 CDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 08:26 -0400, John Drescher wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 7:11 AM, Quaxo76 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> > Great! That worked, thank you! Too bad there's no easier way to migrate menus... it would be easier if a sort of "backup list" was stored inside the ~/.wine folder, that way wine itself could reconstruct the missing items after an upgrade.
> >

> I would complain to ubuntu about that. This is a more distro specific
> problem than a wine problem.

If Ubuntu doesn't default to using a separate partition for /home I'd
suggest that next time you upgrade it you do a custom install and
put /home in a separate partition. This means that for future upgrades
you format all partitions except the /home one so everything in your
user directories will survive the upgrade without any changes.

I do one or two additional things that makes the upgrade faster and
easier: http://www.libelle-systems.com/free/linux/easier_upgrades.html

Martin