[Wine] System Stutters/Skips with wine Under Load

klaxian wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Oct 22 13:40:23 CDT 2010

Hello.  I am hoping someone can help with a problem I am having.  I am running the Windows folding at home client through wine.  This app is very load intensive and performs many scientific calculations.  It consumes 100% of all six cores in my system.  However, I run it with a "nice" level of 19 so that it only uses idle cycles.

Unfortunately, with this setup, my system consistently stutters or skips at random intervals (several times per minute).  These micro-stutters cause my mouse to stop moving and media to stop playing, etc.  The whole system freezes for a fraction of a second each time.

I do not believe the Folding at home client itself is responsible since the problem does not occur on Windows with the same executable.  I have tried wine 1.2.1 and 1.3.5 on Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 with the same results.  No other program on my system - even other load intensive applications - cause this issue.

I am happy to provide any other additional information that would be helpful.  This is very annoying and hinders my normal work.  Any help is greatly appreciated!