[Wine] Re: System Stutters/Skips with wine Under Load

klaxian wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Oct 24 10:57:09 CDT 2010

Folding at home is very CPU/RAM intensive, but it does not stress a hard drive much.  Are you sure that the IO Scheduler is at fault?

There are two drives in my system.  The Ubuntu OS including wine binaries and user-specific files is on an SSD using the noop IO scheduler.  The Folding at Home app and data files are on a separate traditional hard drive using cfq.  Neither is under much load ever.

In the /. article you referenced, it seems that there is discussion about both the IO and CPU schedulers.  I agree that the state of both could be better on Linux, but I am still unsure how that could affect my situation.  Under no circumstances should the entire system stutter like this :)

When I previously ran the Folding at Home Linux native binary, there were no problems.  However, the issue is more prevalent when processing the most complicated work units (bigadv) - which can only be done using the newer Windows executable that I'm now running through wine.

Based on your feedback and other research, I plan to try the 2.6.36 kernel and setting the ionice level to "idle" on the process.  There are supposed to be improvements to the CPU scheduler in the newer kernel.  If that doesn't work, do you have any other suggestions?  Is there a way to try other CPU (not IO) schedulers?  Do you still think it's an IO problem?

I posted here because one of the few variables I haven't been able to eliminate yet is wine.  Thanks for your help!