[Wine] Possible wined3d Issue

Jinseta wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Oct 24 16:57:52 CDT 2010

Hello and thank you for reading,

Information:
Base OS: openSUSE 11.3 (64bit)
Hypervisor: Oracle Virtualbox OSE
Virtual OS: Windows XP Pro, SP3 (arch unknown)(fully updated)
Game: Star Trek Armada II (fully patched)
Hardware:
AMD Athlon
2GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 5200

Installed:
VB Guest Additions w/ Direct3D
wined3d v1.1.30 to replace directx 8 and 9 (both archs).

Okay. There's a bit of history in troubleshooting this problem, so I'll be as brief as possible. I had attempted to make this game work with a virtual Win XP Home SP2 installing every possible combo of Direct3D, the latest version of wined3d (roughly three months ago), and DirectX 8 and 9 with zero success.

Taking another stab at this, I created a fresh virtual of Win XP Pro, SP3. STA II did not cooperate with the Direct3D/DirectX 8 saying it couldn't find the hardware accelerator. Since the latest wined3d hadn't worked at the time, I used the version, 1.1.30, which had announced a bug fix with STA II.

Currently, the game 'works' loading cut scenes and actually starting a match. Right now, sound is choppy and everything is moving very slowly. When the color was set to 16bit, the mouse was partially visible. I corrected this by setting the color to 32bit, but the game is still running very slowly.

That's where I am at. There seems to be a broad spectrum of possibilities behind this problem, but I wanted to see if wined3d was the culprit.

Again, thank you for reading all this and for any help you can provide.