[Wine] Program cannot access MDB file

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 24 21:22:00 CDT 2010

On 10/24/10 12:41 PM, zainka wrote:
> Hi
>
> I followed your advises but noticed the following error while installing
> jet40 for xubuntu 10.04. Any clue wath this might be? I still have troubles
> with apps using mdb files. In my case this is T-Flex CAD program.
>
> err:ole:TLB_ReadTypeLib Loading of typelib L"C:\\Program files\\Common
> files\\Microsoft shared\\dao\\dao2535.tlb" failed with error 2
> Install of jet40 done

Not an error.  The file does not exist thus it cannot be added.

> Also the mdac25 package failes. Here the following error is given
>
> 2010-10-24 21:25:25 (188 KB/s) - `mdac_typ.exe' saved [7945048/7945048]
>
> Using native,builtin override for following DLLs: odbc32 odbccp32 oledb32
> ./winetricks: 4698: cannot create
> /home/zainka/.wine/dosdevices/c:/winetrickstmp/override-dll.reg: Permission
> denied
> ./winetricks: 4698: cannot create
> /home/zainka/.wine/dosdevices/c:/winetrickstmp/override-dll.reg: Permission
> denied
> ./winetricks: 4698: cannot create
> /home/zainka/.wine/dosdevices/c:/winetrickstmp/override-dll.reg: Permission
> denied
> ./winetricks: 4698: cannot create
> /home/zainka/.wine/dosdevices/c:/winetrickstmp/override-dll.reg: Permission
> denied
> Executing early_wine regedit c:\winetrickstmp\override-dll.reg
> regedit: File not found "c:\winetrickstmp\override-dll.reg" (2)

You ran Wine as root once, right?  Thus the owner permissions have been
changed to that user or another user.  You can clean this up using the
chown command or you can start over with a clean wineprefix.

> The permission denied error I do not understand. Sudo will not help since
> then winetricks complains about beeing wrong user, i.e. root, and not the
> usere that owns wine.

As it should.  Sudo is EVIL and should NEVER be used with Wine.  It
creates more problems than it solves.

James McKenzie