[Wine] Re: Tableau Public vis software / Ubuntu

motin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Oct 26 06:30:12 CDT 2010

corrin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd love to know if there is a workaround for this.  I need to run Tableau Desktop professional and would love to run it on my mac directly as it is extremely slow via Parallels.
>
> It seems based on what I've read elsewhere that there is support for FlexLM under wine - it just needs to be started manually as a daemon first or something...

I got it installed and running past the license manager issues, albeit there are more issues...

Here is what I did:
1. Double-clicked TableauPublicDesktop.msi, ran the installation through until there was an error
2. Opened a wine command prompt and issued:
sc.exe qc tablicsrv
sc.exe qc "flexnet licensing service"
sc.exe sdshow "flexnet licensing service"
(As hinted on http://www.tableausoftware.com/forum/unable-start-service-%2526%2523039;tablicsrv%2526%2523039;)
3. The commands above did not generate any output, but when I launched the installer again and pressed Install, it went past the installation point and launched the software.

Splash screen comes up but the program hangs with lots of "wineserver: file_set_error() can't map error: Operation not supported" in the wine error log.

Potentially, someone can make it work better from here? I have to study for 3 more exams so I do not have the time to file a proper bug report. Good luck!