[Wine] What would it take?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 08:52:59 CDT 2010

> I was just curious what would it take to get the following working flawlessly in wine.  (besides a miracle.)
>
> 1.  iTunes  (with USB support for updating the iPhone)
> 2.  Older games such as Klingon Academy, Starfleet Command 1, etc
> 3.  IPX support, since that's how all these older games talked to each other.
> 4.  Garmin WebUpdater, for updating GPS firmware
> 5.  Garmin Mapsource

A couple of these will require the experimental USB support.

> I realize there is Linux equivalent software for some of this, it's just for one reason or another I end up having to revisit them.
>
> So I was just wonder what resources it would take... or how much money sunk into the project, or what?     Just curious.

I would say the best bet would be more programmers interested in doing
voluntary/free work implementing the missing parts. Along with more
testers or users doing regression tests. I do not think money will
help much unless the sum is in 10s of millions of dollars. Certainly a
few hundred will have little effect if it is used to pay programmers
to write code.

John