[Wine] Running Perfect World through Wine using Winebottler

473x4ndr4 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Oct 27 13:54:45 CDT 2010

I am trying to install the game "Perfect World" (http://pwi.perfectworld.com/download) On my Mac using Wine.

After going through the obnoxious process of installing wine (for me this took forever because I am hugely computer illiterate, but through this process I learned to find info in forums AND use the terminal! Go me!), PW did not work. It installed fine, it would even launch but the graphics didn't load, I couldn't click on buttons, ect. ect.

I then proceeded to ask my question on the Perfect World forums, (see here: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=10810862#post10810862).

One lady was helpful enough to tell me to download Wine Bottler and do the following:

"So, first of all, I made a new bottle and named it PWi. Then, I opened the configuration and made it run in windowed mode(it won't work unless you do that I believe), just set the window to somewhere below your screen size. Next thing, I opened winetricks and installed following things:

Windows "Windows XP" Allow Pixel Shader "enable" Audio "only ALSA" DirectDrawRenderer "opengl" Nonpower2Mode "repack" OffscreenRenderingMode "fbo" PixelShaderMode "enabled" RenderTargetLockMode "auto"

Also, remember to launch the game from your LAUNCHER folder. NOT the element one. The element one doesn't work correctly."

So I did, everything downloaded splendidly and went to the game window and everything. Intil it came up with this little pop-up with what my dad likes to call karekazyabra characters (wtf non-readable text) and closed. I made a path to the Launcher.exe file through Winebottler. It would not launch. It would not open.

I am at a loss here. Please, can anyone help this computer illiterate silly person?