[Wine] Star Sonata: Great start, then crash when accepting missions

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Fri Oct 29 05:04:05 CDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-29 at 00:54 -0700, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> Martin Gregorie <martin at gregorie.org> wrote:
>
> > ... its a system-wide kill unless you use the -u option
> > to limit its effect to a specific user.
>
> Are you sure about that?

Read the manpage - that's pretty much what it says:

"killall sends a signal to all processes running any  of  the  specified
commands."

It says 'all processes', not 'all processes belonging to the current'
and besides, if it can only kill processes belonging to the current
user, why would it have the -u option without being a root-only program?

> Last I knew, no non-root user can kill
> a process belonging to another user (unless using su, sudo, etc).

A process that calls setuid() can run as though it was started by any
user including root. My guess is that killall is one of them. They are
very dangerous: setuid() should not be used without extremely good
reason. killall is a marginal case IMO: in a lot of ways I wish its use
was restricted to root.

Martin

I'd just assumed it was a suid program