[Wine] No Sound in Spotify with WINE

achookang wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Oct 31 10:32:12 CDT 2010

Apologies if you have also seen this post on the Ubuntu Wine forum, as I have cross posted it there. I hope this is not bad form, but I wished to have the best chance of getting some assistance as possible.

Spotify has suddenly stopped working for me. It used to work fine about a month ago. The only recent change is that I have upgraded Ubuntu to 10.10 (previously I had 10.04) I don't think (AFAIK) that I changed the version of WINE (1.2) or Spotify Windows client.

Now when I try to play a song on Spotify I get the error "There is a problem with your sound card. Spotify can't play music"

If I open the WINE config and play the "test sound" on the Audio tab I get "Audio test failed!" It doesn't matter which driver I choose (OSS/ALSA etc or what settings for Direct Sound I try I always get the Fail message.

I can play other audio on Ubuntu eg with the Rhythmbox music player.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hardware: Acer Aspire 1363 laptop, Sempron AMD processor, 0.5GB RAM, 60GB HDD
OS: Ubuntu 10.10
WINE versions: Originally 1.2 also tried upgrading to 1.3.6 developer version
Spotify version: 0.4.8.242